Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A weird dream

I was supposed to give a lecture – in a bar. The subject was something I knew nothing about: the relationship of an obscure 19th century woman playwright, with a “national” poet. I protested. I did not like the idea of a hotel bar, I had not the faintest notion about the subject and I resented the fact that my speech would start at 11:15 PM. (It is my usual bedtime). I woke up, still complaining. I tried to convince myself that this was a dream.

I fell asleep again and the dream went on. The time for the lecture was near. I had to pee. I went to the toilet and there was a huge queue of men waiting. I had to go back – it was exactly 11:15. (I still remember the watch dial). I started the conference trying to explain that I knew nothing about the subject. The espresso machine was so loud; even I could not hear myself speak.

Somebody stood up. He had an air of authority. He said: “I think it would be better if you chose another topic. Something more light. Let’s have a few jokes!” I objected. I was no stand up comedian. But the audience loved the proposal. The applause was so loud that I woke up – for good.

1 comment:

An-Lu said...

I sense too much stress chasing you...grab a cat ;-)